Today, Flash gets physical with Arduino, Developing High Performance 2D Mobile Games With Adobe AIR, Max Sneak Peeks, and Max Bash.
And for the last day of sessions, How to Extend Your Mobile AIR Applications Using Native Extensions, building Facebook Flash apps, and the most strategic one: Flash 11 & AIR3 : Changing the game.
Click on the image to start and use “guest” as login and password when prompted.
The popup view is not the best solution to watch it, so click here if you want to experience it fully (or simply go fullscreen).
Got a few time yesterday to work on Papervision, so I took the occasion to build a small personal project, just to remember the good ol’ pv3d stuff. This time I tried the line3D object, mixed with a DAE model. LOADING MIGHT BE SLOW, because the plane itself is a Collada (.dae) file, load externally. If you don’t see anything, just wait a bit.
Use your mouse to move the camera. You’ve got 3 boxes that allows to customize the animation: the 1st one is the number of lines visible at the same time ; the 2nd one changes the “speed” of the plane. Lines are more curvy when low. The last one allows to change the distance between the plane and the camera.
If you follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn you may have already seen that. Here’s a little explanation.
I used a new rendering engine, QuadrantRenderEngine (thanks to Zupko), recently added to Papervision 2.0. It allows to split triangles when necessary, fixing one of the major pitfalls of Papervision: the missing triangles when two objects have intersections. This problem also occurs when intersections appears in the view, in this case when a cube comes in front of another one. I can now use only 2 segments for each side and that’s why it’s so reactive (It may not work very well on some computers – mostly on vista – if so just wait for the end of the song and refresh the page). You can have a look at the old version here to compare. The only changes are the number of segments (8 for each side in the old version, 2 in the new one) and the renderer (a basicRenderer in the old version).
I used the latest Papervision 2.0 release, with 4 cameras. I also used TweenMax for all tweenings; the tweens can have a different duration based on the sound spectrum. There are usually around 40 tweens running at the same time and it was really amazing to see how they are always properly cleaned. I didn’t get any memory leak or any speed change, even after make it run for hours (if you’ve noticed anything, don’t hesitate to post a comment).
UPDATE: The source code is here.